The UK Data Service is the UK’s largest collection of UK and international social, economic and population data. They provide free access to a wide range of social science data for reuse. The Service contains thousands of data collections, including UK census data, government funded surveys, longitudinal studies, international macrodata, qualitative data, and business microdata. Access to the Service is free for University of Stirling staff and students.
The UK Data Service training series for Spring 2022 is to help you get the most from their service. These free introductory level online workshops are part of the training they offer every spring and autumn to introduce different aspects of the Service.
See below for these events in Spring 2022 and see their events pages for a full list of all their training events.
- Introduction to the UK Data Service, 5 April, 10.00 – 11.30.
- Finding and Accessing Data from the UK Data Service, 11 April, 10.00 – 11.30.
- How to anonymise qualitative and quantitative data, 21 April, 11:00 – 12:30.
- Data Management Basics: Introduction to data management and sharing, 28 April, 11.00 – 12.00.
- Data Management Basics: Ethical and legal issues in data sharing, 29 April, 10.00 – 11.00.
- Depositing your data with ReShare, 5 May, 11.00 – 12.00.
- Consent issues in data sharing, 13 May, 10.00 – 11.00.
- How to become a Computational Social Scientist, 19 May, 11.00 – 12.30.
- Introduction to copyright: Copyright and publishing, 20 May, 10.00 – 11.30.
- Getting Started with Secondary Analysis, 24 May, 10.00 – 11.30.
- Introduction to copyright: Copyright and secondary data use, 27 May, 10 – 11.30.
To book a place visit the UK Data Service training and events page or click on the links above.
Recordings of UK Data Service webinars can be found on their YouTube channel and sometimes slides can be found on their past events pages.
Access to the UK Data Service
Access to the UK Data Service is integrated with our University Portal so you will not need a separate username and password. You first need to register to use the Service – when you first register:
- Go to: https://ukdataservice.ac.uk/
- Click ‘Login’ (top right corner)
- Enter ‘University of Stirling’ into the organisations box
- Then complete the registration form – an email will be sent to you to confirm your registration
- You may need to accept ‘special conditions’ to use some of the datasets
After registration, access the Service via our University Portal:
- Go to https://portal.stir.ac.uk/my-portal.jsp
- Under the Resource tab, select ‘A-Z list of online resources’
- Then U, then select the ‘UK Data Service’ link
Senior Research Librarian