The UK Data Service is the UK’s largest collection of UK and international social, economic and population data. They provide free access to a wide range of social science data for reuse. The Service contains thousands of data collections, including UK census data, government funded surveys, longitudinal studies, international macrodata, qualitative data, and business microdata. Access to the Service is free for University of Stirling staff and students.
The UK Data Service training series for Autumn 2021 is to help you get the most from their service. These free introductory level training events are part of the training they offer every spring and autumn to introduce different aspects of the Service.
See below for these events in autumn 2021 and see their events pages for a full list of all their training events.
- Online webinar: Introduction to the UK Data Service 5 October, 10.00 – 11.30
- Online webinar: Finding and accessing data from the UK Data Service 7 October, 10.00 – 11.30
- Online workshop: Dissertation projects: Introduction to secondary analysis for qualitative and quantitative data 12 October, 10.00 – 11.30
- Online workshop: Data in the spotlight: Large scale social surveys 14 October, 10.00 – 11.30
- Online workshop: How to anonymise qualitative and quantitative data 18 October, 11.00 – 12.30 (To be confirmed)
- Online workshop: Data management basics: Introduction to data management and sharing 21 October, 11.00 – 12.30
- Online workshop: Data management basics: Ethical and legal issues in data sharing 22 October, 10.00 – 11.30
- Online workshop: Depositing your data with ReShare 4 November, 11.00 – 12.30
- Online workshop: Consent issues in data sharing 5 November, 10.00 – 11.30
- Online workshop: How to become a computational social scientist 9 November, 10.00 – 11.30
- Online workshop: Getting started with secondary analysis 15 November, 10.00 – 11.30
- Online workshop: Data in the spotlight: Census and population studies 18 November, 10.00 – 11.30
- Online workshop: Data in the spotlight: Longitudinal data 30 November 10.00 – 11.30 (To be confirmed)
- Online workshop: Data in the spotlight: Qualitative and mixed methods data 2 December, 10.00 – 11.30 (To be confirmed)
- Online workshop: Data in the spotlight: International time series databanks 8 December, 10.00 – 11.30
To book a place visit the UK Data Service training and events page or click on the links above.
Access to the UK Data Service
Access to the UK Data Service is integrated with our University Portal so you will not need a separate username and password. You first need to register to use the Service – when you first register:
- Go to: https://ukdataservice.ac.uk/
- Click ‘Login’ (top right corner)
- Enter ‘University of Stirling’ into the organisations box
- Then complete the registration form – an email will be sent to you to confirm your registration
- You may need to accept ‘special conditions’ to use some of the datasets
After registration, access the Service via our University Portal:
- Go to https://portal.stir.ac.uk/my-portal.jsp
- Under the Resource tab, select ‘A-Z list of online resources’
- Then U, then select the ‘UK Data Service’ link
Senior Research Librarian