Several areas of the University provide skills training for students, particularly around the start of the autumn and spring semesters. These areas have worked together to pull together all of their different skills training into one location to form a one stop shop for skills training.
Stirling Essentials – Study Skills Workshops is a SharePoint site which is accessible to all staff and students. New students can access the site from the point at which they have accepted an offer from the University and been transferred into the Student Records System (SITS). The site is closely linked to the Stirling Essentials modules for new UG and PG students.
The main types of skills sessions included in the site are:
- Academic Skills – provided by Student Learning Services, including sessions on academic expectations, writing and referencing, managing your time, being a mature student, step into 1st year (and 3rd year), plagiarism, report writing and many more.
- Digital / IT Skills – provided by Information Services, including sessions on Canvas and Teams, Using Word to write assignments, Office 365 for students, Tech tips, Word processing a dissertation
- Cyber Essentials – provided by Information Services, including sessions on managing your online presence, protecting your privacy and protecting your data
- Library Skills – provided by Information Services, including sessions on finding resources and the essential guide to Library and IT Services
- Wellbeing and studying, provided by Student Learning Services, including studying and staying well at home, top tips to settle into university, coping with assessment and exam pressure
- Language and Culture, provided by INTO, including a welcome to Stirling, Scottish culture, Conversation club
You can view the events listing by theme here.
All skills sessions are being run in Teams webinar and recordings for many will be available on the Recordings section of the site after they’ve taken place to allow latecomers to access them.