Information Services is seeking to recruit student staff (Wi-Fi Wizards) to assist with setting up staff and students on the University Wi-Fi service – eduroam. This year our Wizard team will also be involved in supporting the new Lecture Recording system, Panopto, which is being installed this summer.
The job involves:
- Being part of a student wizard team providing support to students and staff in getting their devices connected to Wi-Fi (eduroam). Devices include iPhones, iPads, tablet devices and Android mobiles, Windows laptops and MacBooks.
- Other clerical tasks as required, such as checking students into appointments.
- Attending the start of lectures to help staff set off the new lecture recording system, Panopto.
We are looking for current students at UoS with the following skills
- Experience of setting up and using eduroam on a variety of device types (therefore we need students from year 2 onwards).
- Ability to learn how to install and configure eduroam on a variety of device types.
- General IT background understanding of student IT setup at the University.
- Confidence to go to a lecture theatre and help staff to get the lecture recording system up and running.
- A pleasant and friendly manner with students and staff.
- Reliable and responsible attitude.
- Good teamworker
- Ability to speak any languages an advantage
Please note you will be required to wear a Wi-Fi Wizard or similar t-shirt (provided by us)
Training will be given in the week preceding the start of the semester (w/b 3 September) We will make this as close to the end of the week as we can, to allow as many students as possible to attend. We expect all wizards to work full time (or as near as) on the first weekend 8-9 September (10 am – 5 pm)
We are holding a recruitment afternoon on Tuesday 28th August from 2 pm in the Library. If you are interested in applying for the post please email email@example.com to indicate that you will be attending the recruitment afternoon. Please explain in a covering letter or a CV why you think you would be suitable for this post.
On the recruitment afternoon, we are likely to do a basic test to install eduroam on a variety of devices and hold informal interviews.