The University currently provides a fund of £250k to spend on Open Access: publisher memberships, APC and publication costs. To apply to the APC fund you need to fulfil eligibility criteria – see here for further information and the application form.
Many publishers now offer discounted Article Processing Charges (APCs), so bear this in mind when you are choosing to submit your research although the best journal in your field may not be covered by any of these deals!
- BMC/SpringerOpen offer a 15% discount on their APCs – on average £1200 plus VAT
- SAGE offer a discounted rate of £200 plus VAT
- Under the Springer Compact Agreement papers are published under a CC BY licence in the majority of Springer’s hybrid journals “at no charge”. The cost will somehow be offset and bundled into our subscription costs
- Wiley Offset deal offers a 25% discount on their APCs – typically between £1000 to £3200 plus VAT
- Cogitatio Institutional membership programme offers a 20% discount on the APC fee typically between £550 to £620
- Open Library of Humanities charges no APCs
- In 2018 we hope to join the Taylor Francis offset deal which offers a 75% discount on their APCs which would be £450 per article
Research & Scholarly Communications Manager