Information Services has taken out a subscription to lynda.com to allow all of our staff and students access to this vast resource of training materials.
lynda.com teaches the latest software, creative, and business skills through high-quality instructional videos. To learn more, watch this introductory video about the service, and watch the How to use lynda.com course.
Benefits to using lynda.com include:
- Unlimited access to courses on a wide variety of technologies and disciplines
- Up-to-date content to keep skills current and to learn new skills
- New courses added every week
- Tutorials taught by recognized industry experts
- Access to instructors’ exercise files to follow along as you learn
- Closed captioning and searchable, time-coded transcripts
- Beginner to advanced courses
- The option to watch complete courses or bite-size videos as you need them
To access lynda.com go to the portal > A-Z list of online resources > select lynda.com.
The first time you log in, you will be asked if you accept that the university is passing over some basic details about you (this is to allow us to set up playlists and get good statistics of use from the site). Click ‘Accept’. You may then be asked if you have previously had a lynda.com account. Select ‘No’, then you’re in!
And there’s an app for that….
You can download the free lynda.com app from both the App Store and the Play Store. To sign in via the university, login under ‘School’ or ‘Web login’ on Android, and enter stir.ac.uk as your keyword. When you get to the portal login, log in with your usual university username and password.
We will be adding more information about the site to our web page so keep an eye on it: http://www.stir.ac.uk/is/student/it/software/lynda/
If you need help in using lynda.com, please contact the Information Centre, firstname.lastname@example.org