Information Services has invested in a replacement for our StirGate service. This new and improved service simultaneously searches many Library resources and offers a new, efficient way of searching for academic information. StirGate is available on and off campus from the A-Z list of online resourcesÂ or from the Resources tab in the University Portal.
What are the newÂ features?
- export your search results by email, or directly into RefWorks (read more about Refworks)Â
- save a search, or set up a search alert by email or RSS – great for keeping up to date on a topic
- limit your results usingÂ a wide range of filters to ensure relevancy
- book reviews
What does StirGate search?
There are two ways to use the StirGate service. The default is to search the Library Catalogue; the full text of 46,000 journals; electronic journal archives including JSTOR, Science DirectÂ and Business Source Premier; subject specific indexes including CINAHL (health), EconLit (economics), IPSA (politics), ATLA (religious studies), PsycINFO (psychology) and the Citation Indexes from Web of Science.
FurtherÂ results can then be added to your search by selecting the additional resources on the right hand side of the StirGate search screen. More resources will be added to this list in the coming weeks so if your favourite databases aren’t there yet, please check again soon!
- MoreÂ databases will be available from the list of the right hand side of theÂ results screen
- Additional databases will soon be available in the default search setting (to see a list of these resources run a search and click on the ‘database information’ link on the left hand side of the results screen)
- An app for mobile devices
- Customised versions of StirGate for specific subject areas
- STORRE (our online repository) and our Archives Catalogue will also be added to StirGate
Follow IS on Twitter @isstirling to keep up to date with new resources being added to StirGate.
We would like to know what you think about the new service, you can send us yourÂ views from within StirGate by clicking on the “give us your feedback” link, or email email@example.com