Love Letters to the Library – the results

Library and IT services play a pivotal role in shaping the student experience. To delve into the unfiltered sentiments of our students, we asked them to pour their hearts out through the written word. But this wasn’t just any writing exercise; we challenged them to pen love letters or break up letters expressing their feelings towards our library and IT services. 

Thank you for crafting these delightful letters; we have received forty-three. Below, we present the themes along with some examples.  

Love is in the Air 

Twenty six letters conveyed love for the library, describing it as a second home, a reliable refuge during times of need, and a dedicated space for focused studying. We received numerous expressions of affection, along with a handful of invitations to go out on dates.  

The text reads: “Dear library, thank you for being there for me.  When I first came into the Uni you were the one who cleared my mind and all my queries.  Even when I was having my break up you were there for me with warm pillows and relaxing books.  During winter, even without asking you gave me cosy blankets.  Even at late nights thank you for being there.  Thank you for giving me and my friends a place to study.  What more could I ask for.  I Love you as you are.  With Love.” 

I Will Always Love You 

Five letters eloquently expressed the high value placed on the library and IT staff, highlighting their helpfulness, kindness, friendliness, efficiency, and enthusiasm. 

The text reads: “The library is a very friendly place.  The staff members’ friendliness and enthusiasm to help students contributes very much kindness and friendliness to the library.  I always feel that it is a pleasure to go to the library.  Thank all the Librarians and the IT members very much!!!” 

We’re thrilled to hear that you appreciate the designated spaces within the library! Creating distinct and purposeful areas is part of our commitment to providing a conducive environment for various activities. Whether it’s quiet study corners, collaborative spaces, or resource-specific zones, these designated areas are tailored to enhance your overall experience. Your positive feedback inspires us to continue refining and optimizing these spaces to better serve your needs. Thank you for acknowledging the effort we put into making the library a welcoming and functional hub for your academic endeavours! 

The text reads: “I genuinely love how there’s a specific place destined for specific activities.  This library is my favourite place of all the places in UoS.  Thanks for existing!”

I’m Outta Love 

We’ve also received some breakup letters expressing your thoughts on the library and IT services. 

Lost Connection 

Twelve letters addressed concerns about Wi-Fi issues, expressing dissatisfaction with the network performance.  

It’s important to highlight that a significant network outage occurred on Friday, 1st February, coinciding with the commencement of the Love Letters to the Library campaign. It’s plausible that several comments regarding Wi-Fi issues stem directly from this outage. However, ongoing investigations revealed intermittent Wi-Fi issues, and our dedicated team is actively collaborating to resolve these connectivity concerns. Your feedback is invaluable as we work towards providing a seamless and reliable network experience for all. 

The text reads: “Love the library, best place on Campus! Had a not so productive day, because of the Wi-Fi outage 🙁 Would love to better the relationship with the Wi-Fi in the future! Here’s to working with friends in the library in 2024” 

More of You: The Love Song Continues 

A couple of you have expressed the desire for the library to be open 24/7. We have looked at opening the library overnight, but the level of use would not justify the considerable resource required to provide this. We will continue to monitor user demand and review on a regular basis. 

The text reads: “The library is the best place in Stirling town. I wish it was open 24 hours So I could live here. I heart library!!!” 

Food Glorious Food  

Five letters requested permission to have food in the library, with one suggesting a vending machine is installed. We recently ran a campaign to gather your thoughts on eating and drinking within the library premises through a graffiti wall and a focus group. Currently, our team is actively reviewing our food and drink policy, taking into account the valuable input received. Your engagement is instrumental as we strive to create policies that align with the preferences and needs of our community. 

The text reads: “Dear Library, I do adore the blankets and the cosy space.  I think you’re having a toxic relationship with the Wi-Fi so I think you should work on that a bit more.  How about you meet us in the middle and you allow us to eat on the ground floor at least?  Kisses and love, Anonymous”.

You also shared that you have a love/hate relationship with the library. We hope that the positives outweigh the negatives. 

The text reads: “Dear Library, it’s been three years since I loved you for every second.  I loved all the moments.  I have visited you and you’ve always made me feel very special, loved and safe.  But This “but” you have not given me/us a great Wi-Fi and to bring food at least to the ground level only. but that’s alright, I give you some time (not too much) to change it.  Love you”.

Next Chapter of Our Love Song 

The love letters echoed with appreciation for the wealth of knowledge, accessibility, and technological support provided, creating a sense of warmth and gratitude. On the other hand, the breakup letters held constructive criticisms, shedding light on areas where improvements could further enhance the student experience.  

We love it when suggestions come to life! In response to your feedback, we have more jigsaw puzzles and introduced Lego sets to enhance your library experience.

The text reads: “More puzzles and lego. I deserve a non-phone break in my studies! Love you lots forever in my heart”.

Your input is invaluable, and we’re dedicated to creating a dynamic and engaging space that goes beyond traditional study resources. We hope these additions contribute to a more enjoyable and interactive atmosphere within the library. Thank you for taking an active role in shaping the features of your library and making it a place that truly caters to your needs and preferences! 

How you feel about the services and spaces offered by the Library and IT is incredibly important to us. If you would like to make a suggestion, look out for the suggestion board in the library, visit the online suggestion board, email askIT@stir.ac.uk, or leave feedback via our UniDesk Self-Service Portal