About to graduate? 5 things you’ll wish you’d done before your graduation

First of all congratulations on your impending graduation!  Here are some useful tips from Information Services on things you should do before you graduate.  You can save yourself a lot of hassle by following these instructions before  you graduate (your network account will be disabled on the night of your graduation so you will not be able to logon to CampusNet, university PCs, print system, online library resources or the portal afterwards).


Move your data (files/photos etc) from your university Home Folder
As you won’t be able to access the university network after graduation, you should take a copy of any files that you currently have on your H drive. The easiest way to move these would be to use a USB stick or connect your own laptop to CampusNet and copy your files to your laptop/external hard drive. If you fail to do this, all is not lost as our Systems team can retrieve data saved on your H folder for up to 6 months after you graduate. However there is a £20 admin charge for backing your files up onto a CD and posting to you.

Student email account – find out how to access after graduation
Those with office365 (Outlook Web App) email accounts (UG and TPG students) will continue to have access to their uni email for 1 year after graduation. You will not be able to login to the portal however, so will have to access OWA via the direct web address: http://office365.stir.ac.uk. It’s worth taking a note of this now. Research Postgraduates – we regret that it is currently not possible to extend Outlook access beyond your graduation date so you should take care to set up a forward on your university email account before you leave.

Return your library books and pay off any outstanding fines
Please make sure you return your library books and pay outstanding fines by 4th June. Delaying in sorting this out can result in a delay in processing your graduation. You can pay your fines online: go to the portal> Resources tab > ‘pay library fines’. Or you can pay in cash at the Lending Services desk in the Library. Cheques to the Library should be made payable to ‘University of Stirling’.

Sell any outstanding credit on your print/copy account to a student who is continuing
Ideally you shouldn’t have any significant sums left in your print/copy balance but if you do, you can talk to the Information Centre about arranging to sell any left over credit in your account to a student who is continuing on at the university. The IC can then arrange to transfer the credit to the named student. Please note that you cannot be refunded the £6 free allocation per academic year nor any departmentally added funds. There is a £5 minimum transfer level – we won’t transfer amounts smaller than £5. Contact the Information Centre for more help.

Set up Refworks to allow you to continue using it after you graduate
If you use Refworks, you can continue to access your account as an alumni but you must set this up before you lose access to your network account. See our guidance on how to do this.


If you need help with any of the above, please contact the Information Centre: infocentre@stir.ac.uk or 01786 467250


Information Centre









Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *